Search Results performance

I was trying some fixed query searches today in order to find all documents recently updated across the MOSS farm. So I set up a Core Search Results web part to find all documents throughout all site collections, and view by modified date and return, say, the 10 most recently modified documents.

I got a bit of a shock when I switched between ‘search by relevance’ and ‘search by modified date’ preferences in the query. By Relevance the search took a reasonable ~0.3sec, however by Modified date took a somewhat more sluggish ~7secs, that quite a difference in my books! Not sure why, but I’ll avoid that one in future!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: